Skiplink Navigation

Main Features



Who needs a visa to come to Switzerland and how long can a tourist stay? If you’re from one of nearly 40 nations, you probably don’t need a visa at all.

Citizens from the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Israel, Singapore, Europe’s Schengen area, the European Union and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) do not require visas to enter and stay in the country for 90 days. 

Stays for longer are possible but you must apply for a visa or a permit. For requirements according to nationality see this documentexternal link

Information for EU/EFTA nationals

Citizens from Europe’s Schengen area, the European Union and EFTA do not require visas to enter and stay in the country for 90 days. 

Stays for longer than 90 days are possible without a visa but you must apply for a residence permit. Accords with the EU governing the free movement of people allow EU citizens to apply for residency while in Switzerland. 

To enter the country, you need a valid identity document that is recognised by Switzerland, such as a passport or an official identity card from an EU/EFTA state. 

Upon leaving the country after stays lasting longer than 90 days, foreigners are required to deregister with the local authorities and surrender their residence permits. There is no exit tax for leaving Switzerland.

In February 2014, Swiss voters narrowly approved a rightwing proposal to curb EU member immigration into Switzerland – a move that has called into question the country’s free movement accord with Brussels. In December 2016, parliament reached a consensus on a solution for legislation, but negotiations on immigration curbs and EU relations are still ongoing.

Information for all others

Visa exemption agreements (called short-stay visa waivers) allow stays with no visa for up to three months within a six-month period without gainful employment if the passport holder comes from one of nearly 40 countries, including New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, the US and Israel. 

All visitors from outside the Schengen area must also have passports that are less than ten years old and valid at least three months after their planned departure date. 

Many citizens of other states need visas before entering the country, and Swiss authorities may want the applicant to have a sponsor to cover costs of up to CHF30,000 ($30,121). If sponsorship is needed, the Swiss foreign mission in charge in your country will provide the necessary forms and instructions. For a complete list of visa requirements and information on sponsorship procedures, visit the State Secretariat for Migrationexternal link.

Neuer Inhalt

Horizontal Line

subscription form

Form for signing up for free newsletter.

Sign up for our free newsletters and get the top stories delivered to your inbox.

Click here to see more newsletters